Stock Market Analysis

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Stocks Mixed On High CPI Numbers

FUNDAMENTAL ANALYSIS
Stocks opened deep in the mires and closed mixed after CPI numbers showed a "larger than expected" increase in January by 0.3% (analysts are expecting 0.1%). While the CPI numbers did spark some concern that the Feds may be overly optimistic about the results achieved by the rate hikes so far, markets still ended with pretty decent internals with advancers parring decliners 1 : 1. I am impressed with the overall bullishness in the markets today as it held up such great internals despite a barrage of spirit dampening releases and Oil price surging to close slightly above $60. Today is the peak of the storm for the week and with nothing more to shake the markets this week, I would expect the bullishness to return again tomorrow.

TECHNICAL ANALYSIS
No big surprises today as the Dow dipped slightly as it always had before rebounding into new highs and the Nasdaq composite staged a weak followup to the resistance level break of yesterday. I did not see the kind of strong follow up in the Nasdaq composite today as volume was still mediocre. This does not convince me yet that the Nasdaq composite is ready to trade above the lateral channel within which it has been trading since November 2006. I do however agree that its current sentiment and momentum remains strong to upside. I am not seeing a significant decline in upside momentum in the Nasdaq composite yet as all momentum indicators remain strong. With such strong upside undercurrent, I would expect to see the kind of follow up tomorrow that will change my sentiment on the Nasdaq composite.

If I am so "confident" about the Nasdaq composite, why am I not indicating "Bullish" yet? Well, that is because the Nasdaq 100 is still a distance from its 1840 resistance level and is already into the short term overbought condition. It may be difficult to stage a resistance level break from such overbought condition and if it fails and dips again, it could bring down the Nasdaq Composite too.

That is just me... I am the kind who wants to see real evidence instead of going on a mere hunch. That being said, the Nasdaq composite is still long term bullish as it formed a bull flag formation. We saw similar bull flag formations before in May 2005 and December 2005 before and it usually followed up with a short but strong surge upwards. I am looking for signs and evidences for the beginning of the surge so as to make a move. Thats the difference between swing traders like myself and other long term investors.

I remain Neutral on the Nasdaq composite and Bullish on the Dow.



COMPQX Technical Chart By Worden Brothers TC2007 Charting Software
Voted Best Software By Readers Of Stocks & Commodity Magazine Since 1993!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home